Monday, July 26, 2010

30th Anniversary Cake

When my friend Alisha sent me a text to do her parent's 30th anniversary cake, I couldn't believe it. I was so excited! She needed it to feed around 30 people, so I decided to go with the sheet cake since it is the largest I have. I immediately started doing my research for what to put on top of the cake and discovered that the theme for 30th anniversaries is the pearl. I found this picture of what looked like a small cascade of pearls, but it was on top of a round cake. It was perfect but somehow I had to get it to fit on my 11x15 sheet cake.

The first cake I made had a little issue coming out of the pan and decided that it would break. Instead of crying like I wanted to do, I decided that it could still work and I would just make the cake have dimensions with the pearl "fountain" being placed in the second layer. Long story short, half of broken cake got thrown away and the other half eaten. Since this half didn't make it to the second cake I baked, I still had to place the pearl "fountain" somewhere. The pearls are made out of fondant and painted with silver luster dust then placed on floral wire wrapped in floral tape. I wanted to make them appear more like a true fountain, but the pearls ended up being too heavy for the wire. I am still working on my ability to write on cakes. I placed edible pearls around the boarders to give it a "dainty" look. This cake is marble with creamy chocolate frosting




No comments:

Post a Comment